|Reason||Replaced by a hospital|
Winestead Hall was also known as Red Hall to distinguish it from the other large house in this small village. Commissioned by Sir Robert Hilyard 2nd baronet in the 1720s it is likely that he died before it was completed. It was probably finished by his cousin Sir Robert Hilyard 3rd baronet following his marriage to the heiress. It has been suggested that the house was completed with advice of Lord Burlington - he of Chiswick House fame.
Built as two blocks joined by a corridor, the main house was a three-storey cube five bays wide, its flat roof hidden by a parapet. The smaller block on the north side, contained the servants rooms and the domestic offices. The house was not particularly large - 10 bedrooms, a drawing room, a library and a morning room. On the ground floor all the rooms were pale green with white plaster decoration, and whilst we can only infer the colour scheme, on the first floor, three of the principal bedrooms were named Green, Yellow and Blue.
The house was sold by the Hilyard family in the 1890s and finally by the Hull Corporation who, in 1936, pulled it down to make way for Winestead Hospital. All that remained was a fine stable block designed by John Carr of York.